Helping you to satisfy your taste for crafts on a budget.
"Whatever your hand finds to do, do it with all your might," Ecclesiastes 9:10
Powered by Blogger.

Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Number "8" Birthday Cake

I already posted a blog here on Emma's recent birthday.


I finally have the cake post ready!


I have been making my kids' birthday cakes for a few years now. They certainly don't look professional by any means, but they mean a lot to them (I hope!) and are fun.


This year I made a number "8" cake for Emma.




I used 2 boxes of cake mix, and 2 cans of frosting (probably could've used 3 frostings to be honest)...CHOCOLATE for both of course! There is no white cake mix in this house! :) And don't ask why the bananas are in this picture...this is just where they sit on the counter and they happened to be there when I was getting ready to bake the cake. ha ha!

I used 9 inch cake pans and baked 4 cakes (yes I had to use them twice since I only have 2, but they cooled pretty quickly in between).

I love this extra large 15 x 20 cutting board that I found at Walmart. I bought it for the sole purpose of setting up cakes because I needed something big enough to display them on.



This number cake is the first one I've ever made, and I'm glad that I chose an easy number for my first one.

Steps:


First I used the size of a small cup to cut out a circle in the center of each cake.


Then lightly frosted all 4 cakes.


Then I stacked them 2 cakes high (2 on 2).


Then all I had to do was cut off a little bit off the edge of each cake and smoosh them together to form the shape. (see picture) You can do whatever you want with these "cake scraps" since you don't need them. I gave Laila a small pile of m&m s and let her decorate them. This kept her busy enough to leave the main cake alone while I finished it. It took me about 30 min to add all the m & m s.


Then frost all over and cover the top with M & M s!



If you are interested in baking a numbered cake, check out this link for how-to's on cutting and piecing cakes to create numbered cakes.



Those goofy girls really enjoyed the cake after some swimming!


Linking up at...


So You Think You're Crafty

No comments:

Post a Comment