Helping you to satisfy your taste for crafts on a budget.
"Whatever your hand finds to do, do it with all your might," Ecclesiastes 9:10
Powered by Blogger.

Monday, March 17, 2014

Girl Scouts March Meeting

For our March meeting, the girls earned their Social Butterfly Badge.


We talked about starting and holding conversations. We made a list of conversation starters and ways to get a conversation going. For example, "If you had a chance to talk to the President of the United States for 10min, what would you discuss?" Many of them revolved around One Direction! :)

We talked about table manners from other countries. They thought some of these were pretty funny. For example, in the Middle East if you drop bread on the ground, pick it up, kiss it, and raise it to your forehead before putting it back on your plate to show respect for your food and the work that went into making it.

We also talked about setting the table. With families so busy these days, most families don't even eat together. But when they do, I think it's a great skill for these girls to know how to help out their mothers for holidays or get-togethers. I really wanted to make a print out for each girl to take home, but I couldn't find any I liked that weren't too toddlerish. I showed them where everything goes when they set the table, including plates, knives, spoons, forks, cups, and napkins.


To go along with setting a table, we made personalized placemats and napkin ring holders. I bought one yard of pink burlap at Hobby Lobby for $3.99. I washed, dried, and ironed it first to remove all the wrinkles. Burlap is such a naturally rough fabric but you can iron it with a little steam and it does not damage your iron. You can see from the picture below the top half is ironed, the bottom is not. See the difference? Big difference! I then cut it into equal squares. I am wishing I would have bought more fabric because i would have made them bigger. These are only about 9 x 11.

Every time I take a picture of burlap it always looks like it has this crazy zebra like pattern, but it really doesn't! I don't know how to not get this in the pictures, even though I've tried different settings.

I LOVE pink burlap!! So rustic yet feminine at the same time!

 
 



We used puffy paint to write our names and whatever else they wanted. Actually, I don't even know if any of them even wrote their names, but they drew all kinds of things that they enjoy. My sporty girls chose their team names, others chose patterns. Emma's proudly displays her new softball team, Bluff City Sox!

 
Horrible pictures, but again, that darn zebra effect!

For the napkin rings we used pipe cleaners and beads. I brought plasticware and napkins for them to practice wrapping. And they used beads to embellish. Didn't get a finished picture of these. But they all did some sort of pattern with their names. Below are Laila's and Emma's.







I sent each of them home with a list of top 10 manners for children, and encouraged them to remember them. I printed these from imom, click HERE for the link.




No comments:

Post a Comment