Helping you to satisfy your taste for crafts on a budget.
"Whatever your hand finds to do, do it with all your might," Ecclesiastes 9:10
Powered by Blogger.

Monday, June 11, 2012

T-shirt Crafting

 T-shirt Crafting



A couple months ago I posted a picture of my Tshirt scarf (aka infinity scarf). Since then, I found a couple more accessories to make with old T-shirts.

Since I am a pinterest addict (c'mon you know you are too!) I did find these on pinterest so the links are listed below so you can follow the same directions I did. And if I can figure it out, so can you! All you need is an old Tshirt and a pair of scissors!!Oh, and a glue gun, unless you would rather sew...not me!

First up: Tshirt braided headband found at makeit-loveit.

My sister-in-law tried this first and it was a success, so I gave it a try and love it!

[caption id="attachment_860" align="aligncenter" width="300"] Braided Headband[/caption]



Since you are braiding with 5 strands, the idea is to braid on the left, cross your inner strand over, then braid on the right side, then cross your inner strand back to the left side. In my head it went something like this; braid, braid, crossover, braid, braid, crossover, PULL. Your braid will look more uniform if you pull or tighten it often.  I found it easier to braid standing at the corner of a table so that I could separate the left and right sides. It helped a lot! I used a piece of masking tape to hold the top end to the table while I worked. Even though it didn't take long to braid, I was able to walk away and come back if needed, without having to start over.



Knotted headband: I also tried another method for a little more dressed up look; this one I found at Sugar bee crafts. I used 4 strands for these and followed the tutorial here to create the pretty knot.

[caption id="attachment_862" align="aligncenter" width="300"] Knotted headband[/caption]


Wide headband: This one is made from a Tshirt sleeve! Who knew that the size of a man's Tshirt sleeve could fit perfectly around a woman's head?! Matilda did! (from Maybe Matilda.) I made different colored rolled felt flowers from fabric and felt. I cut out 4 1/2 inch circles cut out a spiral 1/2 wide to make them. Then hot glued them onto the headbands. For the gray headband I used jean fabric.

[caption id="attachment_864" align="aligncenter" width="300"] Wide headbands[/caption]

[caption id="attachment_867" align="aligncenter" width="279"] Spiral cut to create a rolled flower accent[/caption]



I am now in search of bright colored kids tees so I can make some for my daughters to wear!

No comments:

Post a Comment