Helping you to satisfy your taste for crafts on a budget.
"Whatever your hand finds to do, do it with all your might," Ecclesiastes 9:10
Powered by Blogger.

Sunday, January 6, 2013

A Healthier "Us"

John and I don't usually set New Years resolutions. But we are believers that there is always room to improve ourselves. We go to the gym regularly (he does much better at that than I do), we eat fairly healthy, and we are always up for a new recipe!

So when he saw a sign for a Fit Challenge at our local health supplement store, he knew he wanted to go for it. He weighed in and got measured, and is now on a quest to get as fit as he can in 8 weeks. He is a gym rat (6 days/week) so his exercise routine won't change, but our grocery list does have more protein, fruits, and veggies listed. I will be starting the p90x system in the mornings after I drop the kids off at school. We are going to eat better together. We know how to "diet", we know what to eat and what not to eat. It's just a matter of making the extra effort of planning grocery lists better and spending more time in the kitchen washing, dicing, chopping, ...PREPARING! I always feel much better when I eat right and exercise, so I can't wait to feel more energy.

Starting with breakfast,
I plan to make smoothies. I have a list of 6 different smoothies that I wrote out on index cards and clipped to the frig. So in the am, I can quickly throw everything in my Ninja.



I will have all the ingredients on hand every week and just pick a card each morning. I'm kinda excited to get up in the mornings now...almost as excited as last year when I first got my Keurig!



My recipes, which you can find most of these on my Pinterest board labeled "Drinks" are (click on name of each smoothie for link to each recipe):

Green fruit smoothie. This is probably the healthiest, consisting entirely of fruits and greens (spinach, which you cannot taste in this).

Almond apple banana smoothie...this is apparently Jessica Simpson's secret breakfast to her weight loss.

Clean eating strawberry oatmeal smoothie...this is from The Gracious Pantry, and is really really good!

Choco nana berry power protein shake...another "clean eating" recipe from He and She Eat Clean. This site also has other shake recipes that I plan to try.


Pumpkin spice frappe...this is supposed to be as good as Starbucks but a fraction of the calories and sugar.

Coffee protein shake...this just might be the answer to getting my rear out of bed on these cold winter mornings!

I'm not sure how many of these smoothies John will try, because he really likes his steamy bowl of oatmeal in the mornings, so we always have the gigantic 2lb container of old fashioned oats on hand. He adds a drizzle of honey for sweetness.

Other breakfast options are veggie omelettes, peanut butter on whole wheat toast, and baked oatmeal casserole, which is great for breakfast, snacks, or even dessert.



For lunch,
we do a lot of tuna! And lean turkey slices. We eat it on whole wheat bread/crackers, and paired with fruits, veggies, cottage cheese, and hard boiled eggs. With both of us home at lunch, we can also use most of our breakfast options for lunch.

For dinner,
Lean protein, fruits, veggies, and limited carbs.

For snacks,
Almonds, fruit, protein bars, and no-bake energy bites are usually our go-to snacks.

Picture courtesy of Smashed Peas and Carrots.



My dad and I like to talk nutrition. The other day, I told him about steel cut oats, and he told me about chia seeds, which are gainly popularity and are a great source of omega 3, as well as protein, fiber, and antioxidants! I have used flaxseed and wheat germ before but never chia seeds. You can sprinkle these into a lot of homemade breads and muffins, or use in smoothies. So I will be on the lookout for those to add to some of our recipes.



So, wish us luck! And good luck to you on your resolutions!
And if you don't see me crafting or blogging much, it's just because I'm trying to get myself fit!
I also have a goal to read more so I will hopefully be able to turn off social media to spend more time reading!


Happy New Year


No comments:

Post a Comment